Monuments & Sites


 

 

 

Fort Victoria, Cape Coast

Constructed in 1821 on the site of a ruined fort built in 1712, Fort Victoria was formerly known as ‘Phipp’s Tower’, in honour of its initial constructor English Governor Phipps. It was later renamed Fort Victoria after Queen Victoria of Great Britain.

Perched on a hill on the western part of the Cape Coast Township in the Central Region, the fort overlooks both the Atlantic Ocean and the historic town. Fort Victoria was used as an outlook post for signalling purposes.

Fort Victoria has been preserved as a monument. The fort is in a respectable condition.

The fort’s opening hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm.

Entrance fees are as follows:

Visitor Category Entrance Fee*
Pupils from Primary to JHS 3 GH¢  0.50
SHS Students GH¢ 1.00 
Tertiary Students with ID GH¢ 2.00 
Ghanaian Adults GH¢ 5.00 
Foreign Children USD  2.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis
Foreign Students with ID USD  7.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis
Adult Foreigners USD  10.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis

*Entrance fees were reviewed in February 2013

Contact Details:

GMMB
Central and Western Regions
Cape Coast Castle
Cape Coast
Tel +233-3321 32529

 
Sponsors & Partners
This website has been designed with co-funding from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the framework of the project
"Capacity Building and Activation of Pilot Initiatives for the Valorisation of the Cultural Heritage 8136/RC/GHA"