Monuments & Sites


 

 

 

Fort William (Lighthouse), Cape Coast

Fort William is sited on Dawson’s Hill in Cape Coast, in the Central Region of Ghana. Fort William was built in April 1820 on the site of a lookout post previously used for signalling purposes. The fort was built by the then English Governor, Hope Smith. It was named Smith’s Tower.

Prior to 1838, the fort was converted to a lighthouse and renamed Fort William.

Fort William currently accommodates staff of the GMMB and has been preserved to a fairly good state.

The fort’s opening hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm.

Entrance fees are as follows:

Visitor Category Entrance Fee*
Pupils from Primary to JHS 3 GH¢  0.50
SHS Students GH¢ 1.00 
Tertiary Students with ID GH¢ 2.00 
Ghanaian Adults GH¢ 5.00 
Foreign Children USD  2.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis
Foreign Students with ID USD  7.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis
Adult Foreigners USD  10.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis

*Entrance fees were reviewed in February 2013

Contact Details:

GMMB
Central and Western Regions
Cape Coast Castle
Cape Coast
Tel +233-3321 32529

 
Sponsors & Partners
This website has been designed with co-funding from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the framework of the project
"Capacity Building and Activation of Pilot Initiatives for the Valorisation of the Cultural Heritage 8136/RC/GHA"