Monuments & Sites


 

 

 

Fort Good Hope, Senya Beraku (1705)

Fort Good Hope is strategically sited on a promontory near a cove, looking out on a tranquil beach lined with coconut palms in the town of Senya Beraku in the Central Region. The Fort was erected in 1715 by the Dutch, who were looking to tap into the gold, ivory and slave trade in the hinterland kingdom of Akyem.

Fort Good Hope was initially a small triangular fort, shielded by three bastions and a curtain wall. An apartment building is shielded by the south curtain wall. Inter-ethnic wars between the Asante, Akyem and Akwamu ethnic groups, among others, led to such huge increases in prisoners-of-war slaves, that in 1715 the fort was expanded to include large male and female slave prisons. In an official report of 1804, Fort Good Hope was aptly described as “one of the finest and most spacious forts on the coast” .

This was the last fort built in the Gold Coast. Believed to have the potential to bring grand proceeds from gold trade, the fort was christened 'De Goede Hoop', meaning ‘Good Hope’. Ironically, the expected boom never occurred. The British gained possession of the fort during the 1868 exchange of forts.

Fort Good Hope presently serves as a rest house.

The fort’s opening hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm.

Entrance fees are as follows:

Visitor Category Entrance Fee*
Pupils from Primary to JHS 3 GH¢  0.50
SHS Students GH¢ 1.00 
Tertiary Students with ID GH¢ 2.00 
Ghanaian Adults GH¢ 5.00 
Foreign Children USD  2.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis
Foreign Students with ID USD  7.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis
Adult Foreigners USD  10.00 or its equivalent in Ghana cedis

*Entrance fees were reviewed in February 2013

Contact details:

GMMB
2 Barnes Road, Adabraka, Accra
P.O. Box GP 3343, Accra
Telephone: +233-302 221633/221635
Fax: +233-302 222401
E-mail Address: gmmb-acc@africaonline.com.gh

Source: Anquandah, Kwesi J., Castles and Forts of Ghana, 1999, page 33.

 
Sponsors & Partners
This website has been designed with co-funding from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the framework of the project
"Capacity Building and Activation of Pilot Initiatives for the Valorisation of the Cultural Heritage 8136/RC/GHA"