Monuments & Sites




Fort Augastaborg, Accra

Vestiges of the Danish Fort Augastaborg may be unearthed in Teshie, in Accra. The last of the Gold Coast forts to be built, Fort Augastaborg was constructed in 1787. Five years later, Denmark was the first European nation to abolish the slave trade.

Although the fort was purchased by the British on the 8th of March 1850, ‘it was never occupied by them. It is also untraceable now’ . One can only see a cannon at the site.

Contact Details:

2 Barnes Road, Adabraka, Accra
P.O. Box GP 3343, Accra
Telephone: +233-302 221633/221635
Fax: +233-302 222401
E-mail Address:

Source: Ephson, Dr. Isaac S., Ancient Forts and Castles of the Gold Coast (Ghana), Ilen Publications, Accra, 1970, page 83.

Sponsors & Partners
This website has been designed with co-funding from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the framework of the project
"Capacity Building and Activation of Pilot Initiatives for the Valorisation of the Cultural Heritage 8136/RC/GHA"